Monday, September 5, 2011

My name is Skrillex

In the past six months, I've heard several friends talk about Skrillex.  The name sounded really interesting to me, and I wondered what kind of music he played but never came around to listening to it.  Recently, singer and YouTube sensation, Christina Grimmie (who everyone should check out!) made a video for Skrillex.  I watched it and got a little taste of the music, and it pushed me to want to listen to more.
So Skrillex is a dubstep DJ from Los Angeles.  The first time I heard dubstep...I couldn't get into it, but I listened to Skrillex with open ears.  I went to Skrillex's Music Facebook page and listened to the three most-played songs: "First of the  Year," "Ruffneck (Full Flex)" (below), and "Scary Monsters & Nice Sprites (Dirtyphonics Remix)".


I like Skrillex.  The way I could tell is that I found myself nodding muh head to the music.  Skrillex not only includes the dubstep sound, but he also incorporates elements of techno/trance, which I used to listen to a lot in middle school - he brings it back for me.  I like the combination of the two.  I also like the different sound sequences he uses.  There are no lyrics to the songs, but the songs still embody a "verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus" structure so for each section of the song, he uses different sounds.  I didn't know what kind of sound to expect, so it was nice to be surprised.  Most people say that there isn't a distinct beat to dubstep songs, but I felt like there is a good beat to Skrillex's songs.  One con I could say about Skrillex is that the sound elements in his songs are repetitive and could possibly get boring and maybe even certain sounds could get annoying.  Other than that, I recommend giving a listen to Skrillex, and I would recommend listening to "Ruffneck (Full Flex)" first - it was muh favorite!

If you like what you hear, you can download his free EP , which is what I did and will probably be listening to for awhile.  And for anyone going to Austin City Limits this year, Skrillex will be playing Saturday September 17th at Zilker Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment