Sunday, October 23, 2011

Can you feel the Pressure?!


Went to the new Emo's East last night, and it's HUGE!  I actually wasn't that surprised because we have a place like that in Houston.  Anyway, saw my Houston boys from Versecity perform, and they were awesome as always!

First to perform was an Austin fellow, DJ Grip.  I'm not gonna lie, I'm not sure how to enjoy a DJ's performance unless I'm at a club which I wasn't.  I understand if Skrillex was playing because he plays his own stuff, but DJ Grip basically played existing hip hop songs and added random sound elements to them.  No one was really getting into the music.  It was sort of random.

Next was a pop/hip hop female by the name of Charlene Renee who's currently working on new music.  She only performed three songs in about a fifteen minute set, but I'll give her props for having catchy music - her songs have a good beat that anyone could dance to.  Overall, her vibe is essentially being seductive by wearing revealing clothing (or rather hardly any), singing with a sexy voice, and dancing provocatively.  I'm curious to see where she goes.

Finally Versecity played their set.  This was my third time seeing them, and seriously, every time I see them they get better and better.  They're one of the few bands that I listen to that are just rock music.  Not necessarily punk or alternative rock.  I have to say...these guys exude a great energy to the audience.  They legitimately look like rockstars onstage, and I absolutely love the vocal performance by lead singer, Micaiah.  Going to this show I was a little curious on how they would be received considering they were performing with hip hop artists (the headliner being Slim Thug), but they pulled it off.  They incorporated the rap stylings of 4th & Inchez with their rock sound, and it was really good!  While they were setting up onstage, I heard some people behind me taunting Versecity because they were obviously not a hip hop act, but by the end of their set, everyone applauded them and wanted to buy their latest album, #HYBRID.  I recommend taking a listen to the album, and more specifically listen to the song "Pressure" - that one is my favorite.  So after seeing Versecity perform and chatting with Micaiah, my friend and I left, so we didn't get a chance to see them perform alongside Slim Thug.

If anyone is going to be in Houston on November 19th, you should see these guys live!  They won't disappoint!

1 comment: