Wednesday, October 19, 2011

We were meant to live for so much more!

After two years, I finally saw Anberlin live at Stubb's last night - I can't believe I didn't "like" them on Facebook beforehand.  An acquaintance of mine from New Jersey introduced me to this band, and I was intrigued by their alternative rock sound, very head nod worthy.


I only have one of their albums, New Surrender, which I listened to it for a good while, but like every other new album release, the hype dies down and pushes me to find something new to listen to.  But don't get me wrong, I never skip their songs whenever they come on shuffle.

Anyway, I saw them for the first time Tuesday night (10/18/11), and they were AHHMAZING live.  Their music alone is already energetic, but when they play it live, it's so much more energetic and intense.  Unfortunately, the lead singer, Stephen, had to leave tour for awhile due to family affairs, but the band welcomed Dan and Phil from Story of the Year to fill in.  They did a good job, and Stephen would have been proud.  Anberlin played a lot of good new songs, but I was ecstatic when they played two of my favorite songs from New Surrender: "Feel Good Drag" and "The Resistance" (below).


(The Resistance)

Switchfoot is the headliner for this tour raising money for the "Stand Up For Children" charity, and they were AHHMAZING as well.  Even though I was being elbowed and stepped on by these scrub teenagers who were trying to mosh next to me, I enjoyed listening to Switchfoot play.  Both bands exerted massive amounts of energy, and that's what I look for in bands' performances.  You can feel the passion behind Switchfoot's music and how much they truly love playing for audiences.


They played new songs from their latest album Vices Versus, and a majority of the set was mellow rock sounding, which wasn't bad!  I have to say...my favorite song they performed was a classic Switchfoot song: "We Were Meant to Live."  It brought back so many memories of when I was younger.

Overall, I had a great time at Stubb's.  I went with my roommate, and it's funny because I went mainly for Anberlin while she went for Switchfoot.  Actually, I was surprised to see Stubb's crowded on a Tuesday night, but at the same time, I was glad to see a good turnout for the bands.  Well, the fun doesn't end here - I'm going out to La Zona Rosa tonight to see one of my favorite bands, Panic! At the Disco.

No comments:

Post a Comment