Monday, December 5, 2011

Moonlight Social

On Thursday, December 1st, local Austin (and UT) band, Moonlight Social, filled the starry Texas night with alternative-country rock at the Art Institute of Austin. Their sound is not particularly my cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed their performance! At first you think that there are five members to this group, but in reality there are only two: Jeremy Burchard (center) and Jennica Scott (on Burchard's right), whom are members of the Longhorn Band!




I never realized how much talent was brewing on the UT campus, and I wouldn't have known about Moonlight Social if it weren't for Vicci, who not only has posted about them numerous times on her blog but also wrote a kick ass band profile on them for her journalism class!  I would share it with you, but I'm not sure if I have the power to do that! [[EDIT: She posted it!]]

Anyway, I enjoyed seeing Moonlight Social perform.  Country's not my forte, but they definitely captured my attention.  They give off a stage presence similar to Tyler Ward and his band.  Each member of the band looks like they're genuinely enjoying themselves while performing and that they really love music.  What I thought was the most impressive aspect was the vocal stylings of Jennica. She has an amazing voice - good range with a very crisp sound - and she works it.  The band played a mixture between original songs and cover songs - one that I knew for sure was "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum.  My favorite original song they had would probably be "Neither Are You," which is the song they closed the night with.



From what I've seen and learned about Moonlight Social, I have no doubts that they're on the right track to making it big.  Jeremy and Jennica have only been working together for a year, and they've accomplished so much (only naming two of many): from performing at the 2011 SXSW showcase to having the opportunity to record with a member from Blue October.  I sense great things to come from this group especially because they'll be heading to the studio to record a new album,so be on the lookout for them in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment