Thursday, March 8, 2012

Demi Lovato "Stay Strong" Documentary


I woke up this morning for class when I checked my email and saw that my morning class was cancelled.  Instead of going back to sleep, I watched Demi Lovato's recent documentary "Stay Strong" that premiered on MTV this week, and it was well worth my time.

"Stay Strong" is a documentary following Demi's life after her stay in rehab for her illness.  It follows her when she embarks on her Unbroken tour, and she opens herself up to the cameras all around her sharing personal thoughts, feelings, emotions honsetly, and it's very touching.  Check out the trailer below to get a glimpse of what the rest of the documentary entails.


When I first saw/heard of Demi, I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't crazy about her. It wasn't until Camp Rock when I realized how incredibly talented she was, and that's when her career took off.  In the documentary she reveals how her career really impacted her self-image and how it led her to bad habits.  Tears were on the verge of falling when Demi talked about how much she struggled with her illness because although no one is going to showcase to the world how, as she says, "messed up" she is, it's heartbreaking to realize that behind all the smiles she had, she was torn up inside.


The one scene that made me tear up the most was when she visits Timberline Knolls, where she went to rehab, and she talked about how being there affected her to be more "vulnerable" and ultimately more depressed. She then talks to the people currently there telling them that they will get through what they're going through and that she so badly wants them to be free because "it is so worth it."  In an interview she did after the documentary aired, she explicitly says that she made this documentary to share her story in hopes of inspiring someone out in the world who bears the same struggles as she does and letting them know that it's going to be okay.  She wants to be a role model of someone who got passed her "inner demons" and happily lives in freedom, which is what she wants for anyone and everyone. 

I will never change what I think about Demi Lovato: she is a beautiful and strong person, and she will always be an inspiration.  I hope in the future that I can meet her and tell her this myself, and maybe one day share the stage with her singing our hearts out.  Recovery is a hard road to walk on, but I know that she will continue to be strong and get stronger everyday.  Even though I couldn't personally relate to the struggles she talks about in the documentary, I have no doubt that she reached out to someone out there, and that's a great thing.  Lovatic for life!

2 comments:

  1. While you know I'm indifferent to Demi Lovato, I'm glad she got better and I can def respect someone who would lay their struggles out there for people to see in order to bring light to the situation and help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm glad that she made this documentary. It really is inspiring for girls out there.

      Delete