Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I Can't Believe I Like: Fun. - "Some Nights"


If you know me, every single time fun.'s radio hit "Tonight" invades the music space of any car I'm in, I immediately change the station.  Long story short, I have a love-hate relationship with mainstream radio music.  Although I may like songs that play on the radio, I also can't stand them because they're overplayed all the effing time - so naturally "Tonight" wasn't a hit with me.  Though the music snob side of me comes out whenever this song and band are mentioned, I have to admit that I didn't really give these guys a chance.  If we're being honest, they aren't exactly my general taste in music.

However, one day when I went out to lunch with my sister and some of our friends, a song came on the radio and it fascinated me.  I thought, "Hmm, what an interesting song.  I kinda like it!"  I voiced my thoughts and then the unfortunate soul who is my friend revealed, "Oh this is fun.'s new song.  It's about the Civil War."

Uh. Whut.

So. I basically fell under fun.'s musical spell with "Some Nights" (the title I later learned, thank you Vicci).  What is it that drew me to this song?  I don't know.  It's different.  It has a unique sound to it.  I guess I like the patriot sound it has - hence the subject about the Civil War.  I really enjoy the chant-like vocals and lyrics partnered with the drums which make me want to march and pump my fist to the beat.  

Now, I do like the song, but it doesn't mean I'm jumping for joy for fun. (pun intended)  I promise you I probably won't go see them live...that is unless I hear more songs and unexpectedly like them.  What I can promise you and myself is that I will not change the station if "Some Nights" is on.  I think it makes a good car song...like you could easily jam to this while on a road trip.  That's just me.

But yes, I can't believe I like "Some Nights" by fun.  Who would have guessed?

No comments:

Post a Comment