Monday, September 12, 2011

Tonight I went to Red Eyed Fly with a friend.  I was planning on seeing the band Move Out West, but when I got to the venue, the ticket seller told me that they would not be appearing tonight - a little disappointment.


A spectrum of music played tonight, and I thought it was very interesting.  The first band was a local group from right here in Austin, In the Works (above).  They had a soft rock sound that you could chill and mellow out to.  I just sat back, relaxed, and soaked in the music.  The best part of their sound is the piano work - it sounds so pretty.  Unfortunately I only got to hear the last half of their set, but I enjoyed listening to them.

 
The next band, Phone Calls from Home (above), cranked up the tempo .  The lead singer, Dave Place, came over to talk and triggered my memory.  I actually saw these guys at SXSW a couple of years back when they were sampling their music, which I did listen to.  I have to say...I am a sucker for pop-rock bands.  The band's music makes you wanna dance, clap your hands, and sing along with them even though you don't know the words.  In the middle of their set, Dave slowed down with a few acoustic songs which were very nice.  I could feel the emotion behind the words he was singing. Their performance overall was great - not only did they play good music, but they also got their audience pumped up to rock out.  They interact with their audience and get them involved in the performance making everyone in the venue feel important.

The last band, Stars & Skyline, cranked up the intensity in sound, ending the night with a hardcore-screamo sound.  This was their reunion show according to Red Eyed Fly's calendar, and the band mentioned that they hadn't played together in five months.  You could tell they were nervous to be back on the stage, but they still rocked out like there was no tomorrow.  They got us fist pumping!

This show was the first of the semester with many more to come!  It was nice being back in the music scene, and I can't wait to attend more shows.  Even though Red Eyed Fly is a pretty small venue hosting smaller shows, the bands still know how to rock out and party.

No comments:

Post a Comment