Thursday, October 20, 2011

Oh Memories

Move over Tyler Ward because your short-lived spot of "best show ever" has been replaced by Panic! At the Disco.  Earlier this year, I saw Panic! for the first time in the five years I've wanted to see them, and they blew me away.  I'm glad Brendon and Spencer decided to keep this band alive after their departure with two former members.


The night opened with an Ohio-based band by the name of Foxy Shazam (above).  If I had to describe these guys in a word...it would be ECCENTRIC.  While playing their music, they all danced around the stage like monkies, and it was quite entertaining.  The lead singer himself could be a comedian if he wanted to.  He tells funny stories that I could listen to all day.  In terms of music, it's difficult to categorize them because I felt as if they had different sounds in their set tonight.  All I know is that they put on a good show, and I wouldn't mind seeing them again.

photography by: Vicci Patneaude
Next up, is a name and face most people will recognize: Patrick Stump, formerly of the band Fall Out Boy.  Many people have told me wonderful things about his new solo project, so I was excited to see him perform.  Not gonna lie, I had high expectations for him tonight, and I'm glad to report that he exceeded them.  He blew me away.  I couldn't stop dancing to his infectious beats and sweet melodies.  He has a new sound that is different from Fall Out Boy, and I think his new niche works for him.  He claims Michael Jackson to be one of the influences for his new album (released Tuesday October 18, 2011), and the influences are evident.  I can't complain - I'm an MJ fan, and it was refreshing to hear some of it in Patrick's music.

photography by: Vicci Patneaude
Last but not least, one of my favorite bands, Panic! At the Disco.  They performed a mix between new songs off their recent album, Vices and Virtues, old songs off their previous albums, and a couple of cover songs.  Some time last week, lead singer, Brendon Urie had to sit out of a performance due to being ill, so I'm ecstatic that he was over his illness and ready to rock tonight.

I cannot emphasize enough how much energy a band exerts enhances the performance a lot. Each member gets sucked in the music, and it's so apparent on stage. Brendon alone gets in his zone and becomes incredibly energetic.  They never cease to amaze me.  Panic! is the epitome of talented performance.  Again, Brendon alone, he sings, he dances, he plays guitar, he plays the piano, he has a great falsetto and isn't afraid to belt it flawlessly, he has a great bass, and he can scream.  Is there anything this man can't do?  His vocals are the best part of the Panic! At the Disco experience.  His voice unique, and I am personally a big fan of him singing his falsetto into the stratosphere and when he screams.  Of course, his singing is amazing all around, but I love him just a little bit more when he really gets into his singing.

I'm currently listening to their music which I still love, but it doesn't even compare to their live performance in the slightest.  If anyone wants to know which band to lose their concert virginity to, I'd probably pick Panic! At the Disco.

1 comment: