Thursday, December 8, 2011

My Geuine Find - King Midas


I meant to post about this the other day, but I've been so bogged down with papers and finals.  So Bobby from My Genuine Find experimented with something different from his usual poppy sound - rapping.  As much as I love him, I can't take it seriously because his whole image is centered around being cute and adorable, and this doesn't exactly exude cuteness.  The lyrics are kinda cool but not amazing although I do like the Nicki Minaj reference thrown in thurr, I mean there.

Bobby's music career is quite phenomenal.  He's unsigned but is extremely popular.  He does everything without the help and support of a label, and I think that's pretty amazing.  From his home studio he records songs, mixes them, makes his own EPs, films his own music videos, the works, and he's very successful at it.  There are thousands of fans who love him and would die to meet him.


I wanna say Bobby is the face of the interwebs (for the underground music scene) because that's basically how he got famous. A major aspect that feeds into his popularity is through Stickam.  He used to do weekly Stickam chats with all of his fans every Friday night, and he always got a tremendous turnout (I'm talking six figures).  If you think about it, that's an amazing feat because it's Friday night...you'd think that people have plans and go out to have fun but no, they stay at home to watch this unsigned fella talk to a camera!  I'm not bashing because I admit I've stopped by a few times, and what draws in so many viewers is his quirky charm.  Who wouldn't like to see a cute guy being dorky and serenading you with his guitar and ukelele?


Aside from the music, he's also been working on this.  Seriously is there anything this guy doesn't do?  Recently Bobby launched his own clothing line: Heart Drop Clothing.  All his fans are buy the shit out of his new line, and it's only been about a week.

I promise I'll stop babbling about Bobby, but I'd just like conclude this post by reiterating how crazy his career is.  He hardly ever tours, so basically he works from his house.  He's constantly thinking about his fans and continually keeping them interestd by always working on new EPs and holding contests for song or music video releases.  He's always keeping them involved and on their toes.  I think that's where most bands fall because once they obtain a small amount of popularity, they relax for a bit without having anything new for their fans, and they end up financially in trouble when they try to get back on the horse.

Bobby may be unsigned now, but last time my best friend and I hung out with him at his show in Austin, he said he had been talking with several labels.  Let's see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment