Friday, February 24, 2012

Andy Grammer Tour

Hello everyone! I apologize for my absence again, but I'm here now to blog for you!  So this past Sunday (February 19th 2012) I went to the Andy Grammer show at Stubb's Jr.  Let me digress first that unless you feel confident enough to stand the pain, do not wear high heels to shows.  Lesson learned for me!


The first band of the night are a group of guys known as Action Item.  I had heard of these guys cause The After Party toured with them before, so it was gonna be cool to see them live!  They sounded the way I thought they would sound - catchy pop rock - and in my opinion, they sort of reminded me of Honor Society.  The audience could easily jump into the songs and sing along, and I think that's a cool quality for a band to have.


The next performer was a guy from New York - Ryan Star.  This guy knows how to perform - probably one of the best live performances I've seen in awhile.  At first I was skeptical about him because he was playing an acoustic guitar against a techno beat which I really haven't heard before, but he made it work and won me over.  If it's one thing a band or artist should have, it's a passionate performance.  Ryan really got into the music, and his rugged voice is perfect.  The songs were powerful and deep, and you could feel the raw emotion behind them, which makes you appreciate music so much more.  Another great thing about Ryan's performance is that he gets the audience very involved: he pulled two people on stage to dance to his song, took pictures with them, and he told funny stories to keep the crowd entertained.  Because I fell in love with his performance so quickly, I'm going to post a music video he just released:

WARNING: The video contains nudity. Viewer discretion is advised.
 
Last but not least was Andy Grammer.  One thing I found funny yet awesome is the story he told about how shocked he was that Stubb's Jr. was completely sold out with the room completely filled with people.  The reason why he was shocked was because the last time he had played there for SXSW 2011, there was literally only one guy standing in front of him.  One guy.  I found that hard to believe considering the amazing turnout he had, but he said it was a true story.
I feel awful because I actually had to leave in the middle of his set due to my feet dying.  I tried my best to stand the pain and deal with it, but my feet were hurting incredibly bad.  He played half his set (which included one of the songs I like - "The Pocket" (below) ) and he sounded great!  His songs are plain cute!  There's no way you can't feel happy when you hear him play guitar, sing, and beat box!  You'll be moving to the music and bopping your head without even realizing it.  I wish I could say more, but unfortunately my poor choice of wearing heels is keeping me from doing so.  I would most definitely check out his music!




No comments:

Post a Comment