Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I See Stars - "Mystery Wall"


I See Stars released a third track from the highly anticipated Digital Renegade which drops one week from today!  This track is called "Mystery Wall," and I must say that I thoroughly enjoy it.  Be sure to check it out ASAP cause according to their Twitter, I think the guys are only streaming it for 24 hours!

The first thing that came to mind is that it sounds like it could be on their first album - I almost anticipate Devin to sing the lyrics, "Between you and me!" from "What This Means to Me."  It's less heavy than "Filth Friends Unite," but it doesn't completely neglect the heavy element similar to tracks from their previous album End of the World Party (for example: "Still Not Quite Enough").  The song itself sounds like an emotional song as opposed to the crazy heavy rock anthems they usually play, and I don't mean "emotional" as super hardcore emo.  When Jeff is screaming, I hear anger, which is contrasted/complimented with Devin's vocals sounding hurt. 

One thing that I'm intrigued by is Devin's vocal range in the song: he hits higher vocal registers in the chorus, maintains his middle range, and hits his lower (and sexy I might add) vocal registers in the bridge.  If I'm not mistaken, this is probably the highest I've heard Devin sing.  I think that's awesome, but at the same time I have to wonder...can he successfully reproduce these vocals live?  Usually I See Stars, and other bands nonetheless, lowers the keys of songs so the vocalist can perform well, and most of the time he doesn't even sing them into the mic - he holds it out to the audience for them to sing for/with him.  I guess I'll find out when I see them next week!

I definitely recommend taking a listen to the song cause it's better than "NZT48."  Don't forget to also check out Digital Renegade when it drops next week!  If you're going to be in the Austin area for SXSW, go see them, and if you're going to be in Houston on Sunday March 18th 2012, go see them perform with many other bands at the Verizon Wireless Theater!

No comments:

Post a Comment