Monday, March 5, 2012

Candy Hearts Acoustic Session with Rock Edition


[[EDIT: See the acoustic set and interview here!]]

Readers of the blogosphere!  I have survived my illness that is the common cold (and survived all my exams the past two weeks).  I have much to digress to you but have a mid-term paper due this week, so I shall leave you with this exciting story about accompanying Vicci, now with Rock Edition, to record an acoustic session and interview with Candy Hearts before their show in Austin Monday February 27th 2012.

First and foremost, one of the most exciting things about this acoustic session is that the band borrowed Lola, my beloved guitar, for a few tunes, and I also want to thank Vicci for inviting me to tag along (pictured below).  Prior to meeting up with Candy Hearts, I honestly had never heard of them before.  Coincidently they were featured in last month's Alternative Press with a few kind words from Chad Gilbert of New Found Glory, so I had a good feeling about them.


For the acoustic session, they played two songs "Ticklish" and "She's So Cool," which were two cute and catchy songs.  Upon hearing their music, it's as if you're hearing a girl's diary being sung to you.  Usually I like hearing lyrics that are deep and poetic and I try to write those kind of lyrics myself, but Candy Hearts' lyrics are concise, straight to the point, and honest.  My personal favorite is "Ticklish" just because it's cute and relatable, and it simply makes you smile.

After they performed a couple of tunes, I took over the camera while Vicci did her job of interviewing them asking them questions about their music, their tour, and random things, and I came to the  conclusion that Candy Hearts is a great group of outgoing and fun people who are enjoying every second of tour.  What was so interesting is that because they're from New York, it's almost as if they're from a completely different culture from us Texans even though we live in the same country.  We took them out to Schlotzky's for the first time, and needless to say, they quite enjoyed the food.  There was also some talk of opening up the first Waffle House in Brooklyn and how that would make them incredibly rich (cause apparently WH is a Texas thing...).

Unfortunately I could not attend their show afterwards due to illness nagging at me and my guilty need to study for my exam, so I was a party pooper.  Vicci, on the other hand, went to the show and said they did a good job.  I'm sure the coverage of Candy Hearts will be posted onto Rock Edition soon, so I will edit this post later with the link!

No comments:

Post a Comment