Monday, June 4, 2012

Dexter's Kin


Band number eleven on Siri's "Bands to Listen to" list: Dexter's Kin.  Funny story, the singer, Paul Benedict, messaged me on YouTube telling me to check out his band.  That was a long time ago, and I told him that I would listen to them and write about them for my blog (which I'm obviously doing right now).  He sent me a message back on Wednesday asking for the link to my blog, and I was about to answer him but his account has been shut down?  I really need to be more prompt about this stuff.

Anyway, Dexter's Kin, from New York, has an alternative and pop rock sound that I quite enjoyed.  In my head it sounds kind of indie, but it's probably not indie at all - it's just "indie" to me because I usually listen to hardcore and pop punk music daily.  It's a different sound than what I'm used to but at the same time it's refreshing to listen to something new.  They remind me of another band that I've listened to, but I can't quite put my finger on it...once I figure it out, I'll come back and edit this post!

I am honestly not jumping in my seat to see these guys live because they're not my cup of tea, but they're good music to listen to and I wouldn't mind seeing them.  Even though they're a bit more chill and mellow than the usual music I listen to, they're still engaging.  They still have my head nodding, and I think that the drums shining through keeps me listening next to Paul's vocals.  One thing that I thoroughly enjoyed listening to was the inclusion of electronic elements in their songs - "Self Inflicted" - and the infectious beats make me wanna dance.

Currently no upcoming shows or tours are posted on their Facebook page.  If you're in the mood for some good music, take a listen to them and more specifically go listen to "Spill Out the Lies."

No comments:

Post a Comment