Sunday, July 29, 2012

Travis Garland covers No Doubt's "Settle Down"


It's been awhile since I've personally listened to Travis Garland, and I picked the right time to pay his music a visit.  It's not necessarily his song, but he did cover No Doubt's new single "Settle Down" (see video below).  In all honesty, I saw No Doubt perform this live at the Teen Choice Awards, and I wasn't impressed.  Though I'm glad to see that they're coming back to the music scene and I hear hints of their old sound in the song, it just didn't work for me.  I can't quite elaborate why - it simply didn't click with me.

However, I had been seeing a lot of my Twitter feed being consumed of retweets of Travis's rendition of it, and people said that they loved his version better.  Out of curiosity I checked it out.  Now, it seemed like to me that No Doubt was going for a Jamaican sound which I was debating whether it worked for them or not.  The Jamaican sound isn't quite as obvious in Travis's cover - it just sounds like a happy go-lucky song that easily gets stuck into your head plus his voice is magnifique.  I swear, anything that Travis sings is heaven to my ears.


No comments:

Post a Comment