Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hedley


Band number 25 on Siri's "Bands to Listen to" list: Hedley.  I found this pop rock band when I saw them perform at the MMVA's in Canada, and I sorta fell for them!

No music is up on their Facebook page, so I watched two of their most viewed music videos along with their latest single, "Kiss You Inside Out."  Usually for these band profiles I merge all my thoughts and assessments into one general consensus, but each song that I listened to was different, and I can't really do that!

"For Nights I Can't Remember" is a pretty good love ballad, and it's got a unique sound that I don't hear very often.  It's kind of got a soft jazz kind of sound, and I really like it.  Jacob Hoggard's voice is just so incredibly pleasant to listen to, and he croons this song really well.  One of the lines that really stuck out to me is, "Cause if falling for you, girl, is crazy then I'm going out of my mind."  I don't know why, but I just really love that line, maybe it's the way he sings it...it makes me believe him.

"Never Too Late" takes a different turn in terms of sound and content, and it sort of reminds me of a little bit of The Summer Set.  This song's got a beach sound to it, and the music video even takes place among the ocean waters.  It sounds really happy with its upbeat-ness, and you can't help but snap and dance to its beat.  It sounds like Hedley has different dimensions to them - they don't' have just one sound, they're versatile and can play anything and still sound good.

"Kiss You Inside Out" is my personal favorite of the three, mainly because Hoggard's vocals are simply orgasmic.  The song in general has a very infectious beat that's got me bopping in my seat, and the chorus reminds me of Maroon 5 with its catchy "ooo"s and easy-to-learn lyrics.  To me, the song itself and the music video describe an intimate relationship between two lovers, and even though it's more upbeat than usual ballads that describe the same thing, it's still pretty powerful.

One last thing I'd like to point out about Hedley...they seem really interactive with their fans.  They’re holding a contest for the best cover of “Kiss You Inside Out,” and the prize is a Skype date with the band!  On their Facebook page, they allow fans to post pictures of themselves with the "Kiss You Inside Out" lips and there’s a collage of them.  I think that’s awesome how bands get involved with their fans and make them feel close to the band.  I might post a picture just because it looks like fun!

Right now, they have two shows coming up this fall, but unfortunately they'll be in Canada both dates. Sad day for us Americans who are a fan of them.  Their single "Kiss You Inside Out" released this past June and is available on iTunes, so definitely take a listen to it and maybe buy it like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment