Thursday, September 15, 2011

Who's that Girl?

                                          (Demi, Dezv and Iyaz)
I was in class when this happened, but Demi released another song from her upcoming album about an hour ago.  A song called "Who's That Boy?"  I have a question: who's that girl?

Although I like this song better than "All Night Long," I'm still a little bothered that these songs are way different than what I thought they would be.  My roommate and I talked about it just now, and it's pretty obvious that Demi is trying to make it onto mainstream radio.  She's already popular on Radio Disney, but I think that anyone would want a spot on one of the hottest stations in the US.  Her music is starting to gear towards a more "poppy" sound with a catchy beat, catchy melodies, and catchy lyrics.  I can definitely picture people jamming to this while they're driving, and I can also see her performing this at a concert.

Another thing is that I'm noticing that she's doing a lot of collaborating with various artists - Timbaland, Missy Elliott, Dev, and implied from the photo above, Iyaz as well.  I praise her for reaching out and working with different artists, but now I have to wonder if there are going to be songs that are HER, much like her previous albums.  When I buy this album in five days, I hope to see more songs like "Skyscraper"; not necessarily slow, powerful ballads but songs that empower her overcoming her eating disorder and show what a strong, beautiful, and talented young woman she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment