Sunday, April 8, 2012

Bring One Direction to the US in Dallas


Now, everyone I know and everyone on the internet (particularly Tumblr) has been raving about this British boy band for quite some time.  They call themselves One Direction.  This five-piece of cuteness formed from each boy individually auditioning for the X-Factor, and Simon Cowell decided to put them all together as one unit.

Since this band hails from the UK (and Ireland), seeing them perform live in the US is something to brag about because they have only performed a few times to this exact moment in time, and they're about to embark on their first US tour in the summer.  Do I have claims to these bragging rights?  In fact, I do!  Apparently there was this online contest between all cities in the entire US to bring One Direction to, and fans had to make and post videos saying why they love One Direction and why they should consider playing in their city.  Needless to say, Dallas won the contest.  Bringing 1D to the US was one thing, but bringing them to Texas, more specifically Dallas?  That's making 1D history, and I'm grateful to have been there for it.  Not only did I get to see them live, but I also go to meet them for a quick minute and have them sign a CD (not my own but a CD nonetheless).  It was an adventurous day to say the least, and if you want to read about it in detail, head over to Vicci's Tumblr post to see why.

Photography by: Vicci Patneaude
The guys did a brief Q&A saying things that made all the teenage girls scream and sang four songs off of their Up All Night album, and the thousands of girls at the Pepsi Baseball stadium went wild. A majority of their songs make you wanna dance and "jump around until [you] see the sun." Their melodies are easy to learn, and the beat of the songs control your body to move to it. I even started dancing and started learning and singing the lyrics. I'm not gonna lie, I have become a fan. Sometimes I find myself singing the songs in my head or even singing them out loud...let's just say that Vicci laughs at me now for liking them.

With no surprise, Simon has unleashed another great thing to the world.  Though I'm not an avid fan of 1D, I cannot deny the impressiveness of their accomplishments.  I haven't seen a boy band sensation like this in a long time since the 90s with NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys.  It's almost like 1D is bringing them back, and let me tell ya - some of their songs are actually catchy.  Their album reached number one on the charts - the highest UK artist since the Spice Girls' #6 - and who can't say that's not impressive?



One minute clip of One Direction's "Up All Night" shot by Vicci!

3 comments:

  1. I don't laaaaugh. I chuckle in a proud mama way XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuckling is still laughing in a way :P

      Delete
    2. Yes, but laughing would connotate laughing AT you when really this is chuckling WITH you.

      Delete