Monday, May 14, 2012

The Pioneer Tour


This post is long overdue, but awhile back in April, Vicci and I went to La Zona Rosa for the North American Pioneer tour.  We interviewed Pat Kirch and Kennedy Brock from The Maine and Leighton Antelman from Lydia.  Be sure to check those out at the Rock Edition website!

The Pioneer tour consisted of three bands: The Arkells, Lydia, and The Maine.  Because it's been almost a month, I'll try my best to remember what their performances were like by recreating the concert in my mind.


What's refreshing about The Arkells is that they sort of have a beach boys meets boy-next-door pop rock kind of sound.  It's not the hardcore sound that I've been listening to lately.  It's just a happy sound that gets you snapping your fingers and tapping your toes.  One of the most impressive things from this band is the awesome set of vocal pipes from the lead singer - he rocked the collaborative Beatles cover (video below).


The music took a slow turn with Lydia's set.  Their sound is very tranquil feeling.  I feel like I can lay out in the sun in a hammock drifting.  With the combination of their colorful blue, purple, and pink lighting from the show, it felt really mellow.  What's interesting is that when you hear the music, it sounds all serene and whatnot but when you actually listen to the lyrics, he has some vulgar lyrics that contrast with the softer sound (I'm specifically listening to "Best Nights").


The Maine closed the night with a rocking set.  Austin was the first stop on the North American portion of The Pioneer tour - they had arrived back from Australia.  This was probably the second maybe third time I've seen them live, and the experience was different from the previous times I'd seen them.  For some reason, I danced more to this set and I don't know why.  They know how to put on a good performance.  The guys, of course, combined old songs and new songs in their set and pleased the crowd with no problem.  My favorite song from the set that I distinctly remember was "Some Days" because it had an edge to it.  The chorus got me hooked, and I suggest taking a listen to that song.  As The Maine continues to make music, their sound gets better and more mature with each album, so check out their stuff and their lastest album Pioneer.


The  Maine, Lydia, and The Arkells join forces to perform
"With a Little Help From My Friends" by the Beatles.
Footage by Vicci Patneaude (whose video appeared on Alternative Press's website!)


No comments:

Post a Comment