Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Gentlemen! The Royal


Band number twelve on Siri's "Bands to Listen to" list: Gentlemen! The Royal.  Here's a short story of how I found out about these guys.  I met the clean vocalist, Liam, my freshman year at Emo's (before it closed down) when he was the lead singer of Honor Bright.  After some time, Honor Bright decided to dissolve, and the members went their separate ways.  Awhile back, Honor Bright tweeted about Liam's new band, Gentlemen! The Royal, and here we are!

Overall, I enjoy listening to the music and it's head bang worthy.  Because I'm most familiar with Liam, I honestly like his voice better with this type of sound.  Don't get me wrong, I loved him in Honor Bright, but I think this suits his vocal chords nicely.  What I find interesting about them is the way they trade off vocals because most bands separate sections spotlighting either clean or screaming vocals.

They sort of have a sound somewhat similar to We Came As Romans - which isn't a bad thing - especially in "Mirror Mirror."  The song has its upbeat section but then takes a step back transitioning into a truancy sounding section that reminds me of We Came As Roman's orchestral sections.  I also think that Liam and Kyle's voices resemble each other except Liam sounds more mature.

Gentlemen! The Royal is a fairly new post-hardcore band founded this past February.  The two songs they have on their Facebook page, "A Song of Storms" and "Mirror Mirror," are both up for download!  There's no word on any upcoming tours or albums, but for right now I'm content with listening to the songs they gave out for free.  It's a good way to get music out to listeners who will potentially buy their stuff in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment