Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Millionaires - Your Girl Does Party album


I always have mixed feelings about Millionaires...mainly because their music isn't what I normally listen to, but I'm not opposed to it either.  How did I come across these two ladies?  Long story short - a band from Dallas, The Hit, the lead singer, Kade Holloway, is dating Allison Green (pictured right).  The Hit went on tour with Millionaires, so there was no way I could avoid them.  I'm not gonna lie, I initially had no interest in hearing anything Millionaires but when I saw them live in San Antonio on the KA$H 4 KU$H tour, they put on a great performance.  I guess that wasn't exactly as short a story as I wanted to make it, but anyway the point of this post is that this duo released an album back in May, Your Girl Does Party, and this is my attempt to an album review.  (I'm not going to write a track-by-track but rather a general feel for the album because I don't feel adequate enough for a t-b-t.)

The Millionaires aren't really that hard to figure out: they love to party and they love to have fun.  Any song you listen to, they don't hesitate to tell you what they want.  A fun factor about the album is that it somewhat incorporates a narrative in between songs.  Basically a guy gets upset that his girlfriend keeps going out to party, and she gets annoyed that he keeps pestering her.

One thing that should be disclaimed when listening to this album (or maybe even any of their albums) is that the lyrics and metaphors are super raunchy.  They're straight forward, and honestly, this content is not for youngins - in the first track, "Boss Bitch," they admit that they're not girls that your mom will like.  Even though these girls have raunchy music, I have to admit that sometimes the lyrics are truly clever and impressive.


In my honest opinion, the better tracks are in the first half of the album.  They're cute, they're catchy, they're fun, and they make me wanna get crunk (can I say that?).  My favorite track of the entire album would have to be "Dat Boi" because it has a mix of hip hop and pop and has a good dance beat.  Though the lyrics are explicit and dirty, it still manages to make me think of it as cute.  It also makes me think about eating candy - don't ask me why but the way the music sounds makes me think of candy.

As I mentioned, the first half of the album rocks more than the second half, with the exception of the remix of "Drinks on Me," which I think works well with their popular song "Alcohol."  What turned me off about the second half is that almost all the songs started sounding the same to me, melodies, production, and lyrical content.  I couldn't tell you the difference between them if I tried.


I have to say, Millionaires are a left field in terms of my music taste, but I like to think of them as my guilty pleasure.  Whenever I wanna feel like a thug or a gangsta, this is what I will turn to.  It's refreshing to hear their music sometimes because their message says to go out and have fun and not care what everyone else thinks.  They're not good girls and clearly have no claims of wanting to be, which I think is empowering in its own way.  Sometimes it's fun to get crazy and forget about being a goody good girl.  Their music's fun to dance to, and it has its cute and catchy moments that I wouldn't mind learning and sing along to.  Call me crazy but don't shoot it down until you give a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment